Thursday, May 24, 2007

Do Nothing Half-Assed


I just quit my job. My boss was nice and the work was fine but something happened that put students, of the school I was working for, in danger of physical harm. Ever since that I just couldn't give my best to the job. Everyone said I should keep it "it's a great situation, you get to work at home, you make decent money and you only have to dial it in."

The dialing it in part is what I couldn't deal with. I've always tried to do my best at everything I do. I felt like a total wuss for leaving my job just because I couldn't give it my best especially since it was very clear I could be successful without giving it my all. And isn't that what work is supposed to be about? Giving the least and getting the most? Not for me.

Just knowing I was going to do something half-assed ruined my day. Every morning I'd wake up at 7am and think about my day, then I'd remember the work I was going to dial in and think "fuck it" and go back to sleep.

My whole life feels better now that I quit. Sure I may still be a wuss but when I wake up in the morning and think of what I have to do that day, I get excited and bounce out of bed.

Doing one thing in your life half-assed is like adding the tiniest bit of barf to your coffee, no matter how little there is, it ruins the whole thing.

No comments: